Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Noelle's story


When Cayla was 8 months old we found out we were having another little one. I was happy and scared at the same time because of how young Cayla was.At my 20 week ultrasound everything seemed fine except her stubbornness. She wouldn't flip for the tech to measure the other side of her heart. She finally did.  On dec. 11, 2011, I started having contractions. We got to the hospital at 2:45pm she was  born until 3:05. The nurses were cleaning her and while they were John was doing his finger/toe count. All of a sudden I hear from across the room "SHE ONLY HAS 3 TOES!" At first i though he was joking, because he jokes all the time. Then he brings me her footprints, I was shocked. When i saw her foot, I broke down because i thought it was my fault. Every nurse and the doctor were shocked we had no idea. We didn't see it on the ultrasound. Fast forward to when she is a month old, John and I take her to her first orthopedist appointment where we find out that she has Fibular Hemimelia. FH is when a fibula is short or not existing, her is short. Her right leg and foot is shorter than the left and she has only 3 toes on her right foot. We also found out that she will most likely need leg lengthening and she will need an ankle brace for support. At her 2 month check up, they measured her leg and there is a 1 inch difference when there was a centimeter at birth. We are just letting her be a baby right now and not worrying about it until she is at the age to walk, which is when the orthopedist wants to see her back.








Miss Noelle at 3 months old






Noelle with her sister Cayla and half-sister Aubree

No comments:

Post a Comment